Monday, March 31, 2014

Slow cooker Meatloaf

Who does not love a big hot slice of meatloaf with a side of mashed potatoes? Well if you dont like meatloaf then you are CRAZY! To me, meatloaf is one of those comfort foods that is always what the doctor ordered. Now, if you have read any of my blogs, you know that I really am not a fan of cooking ground beef in the slow cooker. It all goes back to a stuffed pepper recipe that was HORRIBLE! The whole meal had to be thrown out. I think the thought of another ruined meal keeps me cooking the ground beef on the stove.

But, I am not above facing my fears. I tried a meatloaf recipe, and I liked it. (Read that sentence again like you are Katy Perry).



Ingredients:
1 small chopped onion (you can saute them if you are feeling froggy)
2 TBS tomato paste
1/3 c broth
2 tsp soy sauce
3 lbs ground beef
2 eggs
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 tsp Worestershire
1 cup Ketchup

Mix tomato paste, soy sauce, worestershire, broth, and onions. Combine onion mix with eggs, bread crumbs, and combine into meat. I added the loaf mixture to the freezer bag and stored it in the freezer.

We defrosted the meatloaf the night before and added it to the slow cooker before heading to church Sunday morning. Keep in mind when crock pottin' whatever is on the bottom will cook faster. I took aluminum foil and made 6 small balls. I then layered 2 sheets of foil and punched holes in the foil to allow the fat to drip down. I then sat the meatloaf in the slow cooker and added the ketchup. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. With most meatloaf recipes in the oven you add the ketchup the last 10-15 minutes that the loaf is cooking. You can really do either, I just like the ketchup to be nice and congealed. (That sounds gross, so I hope you know what I am talking about.)

Do you want to know the best part??? My 5 year old at the meatloaf. WHAT!!!! I know I was so excited it made me wish that I had hid some vegetables in it before cooking.

I of course made some instant taters and opened up a can or two of green beans.

There were plenty of leftovers for the next day, and our dog spicy even got a small taste. I may not have fully committed to cooking raw ground beef in my slow cooker, but meatloaf will clearly be the exception.

Hope you enjoy your meatloaf, and keep some leftovers for meatloaf sandwiches for lunch the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment